I’ve been running a low-grade fever that spikes up at night. It started Monday evening after I had to take Immodium, continued yesterday, so when my temp was normal this morning, I was happy. Until lunch time when it started edging upwards again. I have also been feeling achy and don’t-touch-my-skin sensitive in late afternoon and evening. I called my onc doc’s office, and of course they told me to come in, and of course my temp was normal when they checked it (but I had taken Tylenol). My PA ordered blood work and my white count is dangerously low and I’m a little anemic. We decided that what I maybe have is viral and not bacterial based on my symptoms. And a viral infection can lower the white count.
So I got another Neupogen shot. I’m hoping that since the dosage of this one was lower, I won’t be in as much pain as I was after the last one. I have strict instructions that if I feel worse, or if I start getting chills, or if I start feeling dizzy, I’m to call 911 and get to the E.R. My white count was low enough to possibly allow life-threatening infection. I didn’t wan’t to take the shot, but after she told me that, I decided it’s probably a good thing to do. We decided I don’t need antibiotics this time as all evidence points to this being viral.
Now I’m at home, taking Tylenol every four hours, checking my temperature, drinking fluids, and hoping I don’t get chills or start feeling dizzy.
Onward and upward again!