My team leader talked with my oncologist late on Tuesday about my shortness of breath and had me go in for a blood test called D-dimer. Without getting all technical, this blood test shows whether or not there are blood clots in the veins (that’s way over simplified, but good enough for this blog!) Karen thought since my shortness of breath wasn’t related to exertion in any way, it could be blood clots in the lungs.
The test came back higher than normal, though not by a lot, so off I went for another CT scan. Fortunately, the scan showed no clots. There was also no fluid buildup in the lungs or around the heart, no evidence of other inflammation in the lungs, and nothing that showed any reason for the breathing problems. My lungs and heart sound good. I’m glad it isn’t blood clots but wish there was some obvious reason for my symptoms – or maybe not. 🙂
So what we came up with is possible bronchitis from the horrible winds we’ve been having this Spring that are blowing dust, pollen, and other particulates all around and my breathing some of that into my lungs. Since bronchitis doesn’t show up on CT or X-ray, this is just a theory. So back to antibiotics to prevent any more serious lung infection from taking hold and a wait-and-see holding pattern again.