I had the biopsy of the tumor in my lung yesterday. Another one of those fasting after midnight things. The process lasted about 45 minutes, though it seemed a lot longer as I was face down on a very hard table in the C-T machine. It didn’t hurt but was very uncomfortable when that needle went in – and it wasn’t a short needle. I’m glad she went in through my back so I couldn’t see the nasty needle. I had IV sedation and local anesthesia, but it was still a weird sensation to feel a needle going into my lung.

As soon as we were done, I started throwing up; probably a reaction to everything that’s happened this week – 3 days in a row of not being able to eat until at least noon or later, and the IV meds, and whatever contrast material they injected into me. So they gave me more IV drugs for the vomiting and wheeled me off to Recovery where thought I could at least have something to drink. But no. I had to sit there for 3 hours to make sure I wasn’t going to have any after-effects like a collapsed lung. And they wouldn’t let me have anything to drink in case they had to whisk me off to surgery for a chest tube if my lung collapsed.

They did a chest x-ray just after 12:30 to make sure there was no bleeding into the lung and that the lung hadn’t collapsed. Then we had to wait another 15 minutes or so for somebody to read it. They finally let us go at 1:15 or so. Steve fixed me breakfast, but I took one look at that and headed off to the bathroom. So I couldn’t eat anything all day. I went to bed around 3 and slept for 2-3 hours at a time until I got up around 6 this morning. I woke up hungry, which is a good sign and have been snacking and guzzling water all day. 3 days of mostly fasting has been really hard on my body, but I’m slowly getting back to normal.

I am still feeling optimistic and hopeful, and I know not to expect a cure, but I’m thinking we can at least manage this cancer and stop it from spreading further, and if we’re lucky, shrink the tumors I already have.


5 thoughts on “Biopsy

  1. What a miserable experience and day, Ruth! I hope you don’t have to go through ANY more days like that, though that might be an unreasonable hope. But I’ll still hope it.

    I’m glad that they’re working so quickly, because it means they’ll start treatment soon too, and that should bring more sense of what to expect. I for one continue to pray for a cure, how can I not?

    I wish we lived closer so I could bring you flowers and chocolate and cake and tea, and hugs. Will have to settle for cyberhugs. Just know how profoundly I care and am with you in spirit and hope.

Ruth passed away from cancer. Please remove from list

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s